Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Jonnys parents and a weekend in Dallas!

Like I have mentioned in the previous post, Jonny's parents came to visit as they were making their trip our to Palmyra, New York for their mission.  We were able to spend a few days with them and it was a lot of fun.  Here is a picture of us before they left on Thursday.  (Ps...they made this sign before leaving California and they have taken a picture at every stop they have made.)

 
 
While Jon and Lynnette were here, we experienced our first tornado warning together.  I got off work at 3 and was driving down the freeway to meet the person that comes on barrel duty next, when the song I was listening to on the radio stopped in the middle and a tornado warning came on.  I immediately reached for my phone to call Jonny and noticed there was already two missed calls from him.  He said he was sitting at the house when he heard the towns tornado warning alarm go off.  He turned on the TV to see that it was only 20-30 minutes away moving at a rate of 55-60 mph.  They said it was heading right towards the town right next to ours.  Jonny said he was on his way to the RV park where Jon and Lynnette's RV was parked to bring the slides in.  We decided we were going to meet at the Junior High School's safe room, which is a room that was just built last year that is tornado proof.  That is when I found this app and looked up where the tornado was relative to us.  The blue dot is us, the little icon that looks like a tornado....yep that's the tornado.  :)


 
Here is a picture of all the kids in the safe room because it was right when school got out and the buses were not running.  Parents were coming in to pick up their children though.  The middle school, elementary and high school were all in lock down as well.  Crazy!



Thursday, we left for Dallas in the afternoon for a three day volleyball tournament.  It was our last one and is always so much fun because of all the competition as well as the huge convention center that they hold these tournaments at.  It was a building that holds 111 courts as well as a lot of shops and even a little kids daycare/play area.  So it was MASSIVE!  It's fun to see the girls faces when we walk in.  Anyway, we ended up arriving at the hotel around 8:30pm.  We all filed out of the car and Jonny and I started to unload our belongings to go inside to get checked in.  As I was walking in, I looked over and through the glass window of the building and saw a man sitting at the desk.  I stopped in my tracks and grabbed Jonny.  I asked him who that looked like from behind.  He responded, "You're dad!?"  I was thinking the same thing.  I stood outside for a minute looking at him up and down.  He was so much like my dad, from head to foot and even down to his mannerisms of shaking his legs.  I told Jonny that I had to get a picture to send to him because it was crazy how much he looked like him. 



While I was taking a picture, Jonny walked inside to get a better look from the side.  He started to walk back outside to come tell me how much MORE he looked like my dad from the side.  So we stood at the entrance of the hotel doors, both eyeing this man that looked EXACTLY like my dad.  So I softly said "dad?"  The man didn't turn around.  I thought, "man, this is going to be awkward."  So we just kept staring, not even thinking to turn around to find the volleyball parents who had met my parents back in February.  Finally, the man sitting at the desk turned around and it was my DAD!!! I was in complete shock.  I hugged him and said, "what are you doing here?!?"  He responded and said, "turn around and ask your mom."  This was the first time that I had even looked that way in the hotel because I was so shocked that this guy looked like my dad.  I turn around to find almost all of my volleyball parents standing there with huge smiles on their faces and my mom, grinning ear to ear.  I couldn't believe that they were there.  So we started talking and come to find out, my parents had planned this a week after they left Russellville back in February!!  Molly and my parents have been talking everyday about the trip.  I can't believe that they all kept this secret from me!  It was such a wonderful surprise!!  I just love having them there and it made the weekend that much better!  Thanks for coming Mom and Dad. :) 

The only regret I had from this weekend was not getting a picture with my parents :(  I kept thinking about it but kept forgetting because of all the volleyball that was going on.  But I will see them soon! 


This is our team.  They are a GREAT group of girls.  Jonny and I have coached them for two years straight, from junior high ball to club ball.  This fall will be the first time that we will not be able to coach them.  It makes us so sad because we have grown to love all of them so much!  I wish them the best in High School and we are looking forward to next club season.  They finished this Dallas tournament 25th out of 168.  We are so proud of them.  I know they wanted to win, but I hope they realize how big of an accomplishment that is for 7 girls from a town of 27,000 people who had 9 girls at their tryouts, come and be better than 143 other teams.  That is amazing.  I love these girls and will miss coaching them! :(

One more thing...

We bought our CRIB BEDDING!!! I am so excited.  I love it and I am excited to show everyone.  The one downfall, my sister actually has it because I bought it from someone in Utah.  I will bring it home with me when we visit in June.  I will put it all up and take a finished picture.  I can't wait!

1 comment: